Saturday, January 27, 2007

Item Number 9: Book, Watchmen

Time in possession: 2 years? Maybe less. I should probably research this a bit more when I do these things.

Description: Yellow paperback graphic novel, excellent condition despite several readings. Under a black light it radiates pure awesome. I forgot to take note of how many pages it is, but suffice to say that I does indeed have a good number of them. Pages that is. I don't know what else you could have thought I meant, but best to be clear. (Edit: There are 416)

Cost: Free, as it was a present from Rufus. Birthday or Christmas, I can't quite remember. The cover price is 26.99$

Story: When I was young, like most boys, I greatly enjoyed comic books. Now, I never had many, but I certainly did enjoy watching various vigilantes in tights beating the crap out of the bad guys. Then, like most kids, as I grew older and my attention was taken by other things, I slowly fell away from comics. Now I continued to draw, and much of my drawing was still influenced by my initial exposure to Jim Lee and Jack Kirby, although that soon became overcome by the influence of various manga: In the end, my exposure to North American comics was totally negated.

Then, years later I would meet people who were my age but had continued to read comics. And rather then being what one might typically consider a "comics nerd", these people were well adjusted members of society and highly literate- And they liked comics. This seemed strange to me, as while I hadn't totally tossed them out of my life, comics certainly were no longer an active pursuit. I decided that I must be missing something: And I was. Because there was a lot of great comics out there, good enough to equal if not better any book or movie or play I'd ever seen. Soon I was reading what is now easily identified as a core list of modern comic masterpieces: Preacher, Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Supreme, and so on.

Alan Moore is an awesome writer and possibly the best comics writer in the business. For anyone else, Watchmen, which was his signature book due to its long duration and high profile, as well as the various ground that it broke creatively, Watchmen would be the pinnacle of their career. For Moore, it is merely another stepping stone, if a prominent one. I read it during my initial run through Moore's major works and owning it now adds to my substantial Moore collection. He's just amazing, he really is.

Plus it has tons of pretty pictures with guys in tights kicking the crap out of the bad guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah! amusing timing, I recently downloaded the entire run of my favorite series from when we were kids. Power Pack! however, it's painfully apparent when the creator and original artist leave the series, it goes straight down hill. By the end of the series the heroes look like missshapen knomes and their parents are having their second mental breakdown in under 10 issues. wtf. the first 40 were great though.

Ooknabah said...

There is actually a pretty good run of Marvel Adventures books teaming the Power Pack up with various Marvel heros (The New Avengers, Spider Man, X-Men, etc.) Also, there's a new series coming at some point that features a fully grown Julia Power.

I mean, uh, I don't know anything about comics.