Monday, January 29, 2007

Item Number 10: Basketball, Semi-Inflated

Time in possession: At least 10 years, although probably more. 15 maybe? Who knows.

Description: Orange rubber(?) basketball, only vaguely inflated and has been that way for years. Practically as good as new!

Cost: The cost of the cheapest basketball at least a decade ago.

Story: My father was a jock when he was younger, so it comes as little surprise that when I was old enough to enter into the world of sports he was only happy to see that I have the equipment and support to go on and be a super sporty sport guy. Or something. Only a couple of hitches in that plan: I didn't really like sports all that much- I didn't hate them, but I certainly didn't like them as much as reading or playing video games or about a hundred other things. Also, I kinda sucked. So really, what kind of incentive did I have?

That being said, I would flit around from time to time and give various sports a try. This basketball is a relic of the time that I thought I might want to try playing on my school team in grade school. My dad bought it for me, and I think I must have played like 3 or 4 games with it before tossing it in my closet and never touching it again. I actually did end up playing on the team in grade 6. It was pretty brutal, getting up for our early practices before school, and then going on to lose most of our games. And so basketball was too abandoned.

I've held onto the ball all these years with the assumption that I might need it at some point, but as it has gone on so long without even the possibility of being brought out, it's uselessness to me is really starting to be felt. I'll probably get rid of it the next chance I have.

Unless anyone wants to play basketball?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a basketball hoop in our driveway that stems from a similar origin story as your ball, there. perhapse the two should be combined some day.

Athena

Ooknabah said...

Are you suggesting that we melt them together in a bonfire? Because I'm all up for that, harmful chemicals released into the atmosphere be damned!