Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Item Number 5: Game, Robotrek (SNES)

Time in possession: Around 4 years

Description: Super Nintendo Game cartridge, grey plastic. Label and contacts in good condition.

Cost: The exact cost has fallen from sight, although it was an eBay purchase, so something like 20$ plus shipping.

Story: The SNES was (and still is) my favorite video game console. I spent far too many hours playing away on it and think on it fondly. However, I didn't have a lot of money growing up, and while my family was well enough off, I would very infrequently get games as gifts. As such, when I would get my monthly issues of Nintendo Power (one of the few family sanctioned Nintendo products- It did, after all, encourage reading!) I would typically spend a fair amount of energy coveting the various games I would read about but never (at least in the near future) own.

And then I got a job.

While I've tapered off, as soon as I had a source of expendable income, I quickly began to spend it on all the fun toys I could never have when I was younger. This quickly amounted to a large collection of video games, the majority of which were for the Super Nintendo. Sadly however, it was also quickly apparent that my local pawnshops and game stores didn't have a ready supply of all of my sought after games, and so I had to look elsewhere. To make an already long story short, I bought this baby off of eBay.

The unfortunate bit is that when I finally got the game I wasn't all that enamoured with it. I mean, it's a decent game, but I pretty much played it for an hour to make sure it worked when I got it, and then put it away. It's on a list of games that I need to play that has been lost somewhere, but I don't see it coming off any time in the near future. There's a moral in there somewhere, but I don't know if I've quite got it figured out.

1 comment:

JoshuaJSlone said...

Ahaha. In a coincidental overlapping of the subjects of your most recent post here and my most recent post on my LJ, one thing I have gushed about is Robotrek. Of course, I probably wouldn't think on it nearly as fondly if it wasn't one of the first RPGs I was able to play... at that, it was probably the first that wasn't from Square.