Saturday, February 10, 2007

Item Number 18: Game, Congo's Caper (SNES)

Time in possession: Probably about 3 years

Description: Grey Super Nintendo Cartridge. Good condition. Photographed really poorly. I mean, really, looking at is is giving me a headache. I'm so sorry.

Cost: I'm going to say something like 15$. It was bought in a wholesale lot off of eBay, so that's a decent roundabout price.

Story: Collecting Super Nintendo games was, for a good couple of years in my life, a bit of an obsession. It was one activity that managed to accomplish some of my favorite activities: Re-living the glory days of my youth, owning that which had previously been denied to me and adding to an impressive collection. In the end, it never really amounted to much, but the thrill of the chase, searching down an elusive game, that was definitely a different kind of high, something that made the occasionally frustrating and fruitless pursuit a little more enjoyable.

Congo's Caper here was one of the many games that I had read about in my childhood subscription to Nintendo Power, the pages of every issue quickly read and re-read dozens of times until they were reduced to mere tatters. As such, there was a romanticized idea of the game in my head with very little basis in reality, as sadly was not uncommon, as was evidenced with one of my previous entries,
Robotrek. Perhaps it was because I was at least 20 when I got my hands on a copy, and when I was dying to play it at 12 my laundry list of video game ideals would have been quite a bit different.

Still, it's a handy game to have around, if only to toss at a little cousin or nephew when they grow tired of play Super Mario World.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hah, reminds me of the other day, I read that they're releasing a whole slew of old arcade cames for the DS in some cartridge. I forget what it's called, anyways... I was like "ooo omg! I used to love all those games!" and then I thought about it and realised that I really don't want to play any of them. hah.

except maybe frogger.