Monday, February 12, 2007

Item Number 19: Game, Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis)

Time in possession: Roundabouts 5 years

Description: Black Sega Genesis video game cartridge, fair condition. Label has significant peeling and fading. Fortunately, the kick-ass game within remains functional.

Cost: 7$ from a local pawn shop.

Story: Every kid has a friend with cool toys. I don't think I ever was that kid (which might explain why I now own so many games) but I certainly had more then a few friends who were. One of those friends was Justin.


When I was younger, I had very few games, which was exactly the opposite of my friend Justin, who would have a new game every week, something that defied logic in my head. I was certainly jealous: He possesses in abundance what I could only dream about. But he was a generous friend, and so when I would visit I would be allowed to try out his games, if not quite to the level that I might wish were the case. Still, a play of a game at Justin's house was usually enough to whet my appetite for more, and those are the memories that flooded through my mind when I, years later, discovered this copy of Rocket Knight Adventures at a pawn shop or flea market.

It's a great game. A really fun game. Probably one of the best for Sega's Genesis system, one which a childhood loyalty to Nintendo had made me particularly slow to warm to. But you know what? I think I liked it better when I was playing it for brief moments at Justin's house. Owning the game, being able to play it whenever it fancies me... It's not quite the same. Funny, that.

No comments: