Sunday, February 18, 2007

Item Number 22: Game, Super Nova (SNES)

Time in possession: About 6 years

Description: Grey Super Nintendo cartidge, good condition.

Cost: Unsure, but I couldn't have paid more then 7$ for it. So, 7$ it is.

Description: You see, now here is an entry that points out some flaws in this whole project. Really, something as generic as generic comes: This game is a generic shooter that I bought simply because I was collecting SNES games and I enjoy shooters. There's nothing spectacular about it, no story, and no real personal connection to it whatsoever. In fact, it's one of those games that I might accidentally buy twice, not really remembering that I owned a copy in the first place.

What does that say about me? That I could own so many video games (and I do own hundreds of them, over 500 at last count, and climbing) that I can no longer appreciate them? When I was young and bought my first NES, the games I had for it were absolute crap: Mission Impossible, Werewolf, Wizards and Warriors 2 and, obviously, Super Mario/Duck Hunt. When the best game for your system is the one it came with, you've got something to think about. But you know what? I loved those games. I played them over and over, despite the fact that they sucked and that I sucked at them.

Now I've got hundreds of games that sit in shelves, having been played once, tested, and then put down, possibly forever. This is my childhood dream, come true. It's certainly not as cool as I hoped it would be.

What does that say about me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahaa, I have games like that. You get them because of a passing interest, and then play them maybe 3 times, get to a part where they're sorta shitty and go "uhm. well that's enough." put 'em away and never see them again.

although something tells me you have more of them than I do.