Friday, February 16, 2007

Item Number 21: Clay Blob Sculpture, Handmade

Time in possession: In excess of 7 years. That's so very depressing.

Description: Handcrafted clay sculpture, glazed blue, yellow and green. He looks pretty shocked. Part of one the right eyebrow has broken off, sadly. Maybe that's why he's shocked, who knows.

Cost: Made in a grade 9 art class, so as free as free can be. That's right, I'm not even going to assign a random cost to it, such is it's material value. ... okay .05$

Story: In junior high I used to doodle all the time, and one of the most frequent characters adorning the margins of my notebooks would be the blobs: A bunch of squishy little characters who consisted of a couple of big bulbous eyes, accompanying eyebrows and a small squishy body which usually housed simply a moth, although occasionally arms and the like would poke out as needed. My buddies Jason and Joel and I eventually started making blob versions of all our classmates and soon they were pretty much everywhere. For a quick visual reference, I've doodled out a quick blo

There you go, a standard blog, startled by a spider (I don't know why, but blobs were frequently surrounded by spiders. Probably because they are very easy to draw).

So, when I had pottery in my first year of high school with Jason and Joel, what did I do but decide to immortalize our creation in clay. I did a pretty good job, considering, although you will notice that the colour scheme is a little funky. This is because I had no idea at the time that firing the glazes would change them from their initial colours. So, the body should be blue, eyes white and pupils and eyebrows black. Oh well.

I still draw blobs from time to time, as does Joel, although I'm not sure if Jason does, having lost contact with him after high school. Still, it's nice to have this little memento of those younger days, happily drawing with friends and just having fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hah, I still remember the time Jay and I made that ginormous paper maché blob in grade 10. Good times had by all