Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Item Number 16: Video Game System, Sega 32X

Time in possession: 3 years? During one of my several eBay sprees.

Description: Sega 32X system, minus cables. Works fine and is in decent condition. A wonderful reminder of Sega's excess and subsequent fall from grace. Also, one of my key "You've got one of THOSE??" comment-grabbing items.

Cost: Pretty cheap- I don't think I paid more then 20$. At least I hope so.

Story: As the end of the 16-Bit video game console wars drew to a close (for those of you not in the know, that would have been the competition between the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and Turbo Graphix 16 systems, all of which are now conveniently enough download able onto the Nintendo Wii system) there was much speculation as to what the next set of systems would be like. History now shows the next wave to be the Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo 64 and to a much lesser extent, the Atari Jaguar. So where does this thing come in?

The Sega 32X was supposed to be a genuine 32-bit system (like the Saturn and PlayStation), but rather then a totally new console, it was an add-on to the previous generation's Genesis. The Genesis was no stranger to add ons- It had also had a rather poorly received CD add on which ending up being indirectly involved in the cancellation of Nintendo's planned CD add on and as such as the creation of the Sony PlayStation (hereafter the PSX). But that's all a totally different story. I'm sorry, you probably don't care about any of this, but this is what happens when I read a whole bunch of books about the history of the video game industry. I'm a dork. ANYWAY, to make a long story short, the 32X sucked. It didn't do 3D, which was what people were flocking to the PSX for, and it didn't even do whatever the hell else it was supposed to do well. On top of that, it looked ridiculous on top the the Genesis. For those poor (both in luck and money) folks who had both add ons to their genesis, they were left with a freakish Frankenstein-esque console that really only had a couple of good games that people with a plain old Genesis couldn't play.

So why did I buy the thing?

When I saw the opportunity to own a 32X, I really couldn't resist. It wasn't a lot of money (as I recall) and at that point I had only really known about it through reputation. So, I took it home, dusted off one of my Genesis systems, and plugged the sucker in. It didn't work. I realized it needed another power bar, so I dug one out, plugged it in, turned it on. It didn't work. Then I realized that it needed a cable connecting it to the Genesis for the visual inputs. There, I was stuck, and have been to this day.

As far as can figure, the system works by having some of the work being done by the Genesis, which it then superimposes it's own image on top of. For instance, in the Star Wars arcade game (the only game I have bought for the system) plugging in the Genesis shows me a HUD, while plugging in the 32X shows me a star field. It seems to me that that would be ridiculously hard to program for, which might explain why only a handful of games were made for the monstrosity. It currently sits on my shelf, a reminder of Sega's folly. And my own I guess. Anybody want to sell me the connector cable to one of these things? I don't really want to play it, but it would be nice to have the option....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have two of the bloody things and am in the same boat as you. The first one I got with a Genisis I bought and the second came with a bunch of games. But no cable. Oh well! :P