Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Item Number 39: Mini Filing Cabinet (and contents!)

Time in possession: 2 or 3 years

Description: Grey plastic "filing cabinet", designed to hold business cards. Top cabinet contains a small digital clock. Current contents are several dozen Nintendo Game Boy e-reader cards, several pieces of expired or seldom used ID, misc client cards, a padlock, some extra keys and other useful crap to have nearby and at hand.

Cost: The Cabinet itself reminds me of the kind of thing you'd buy for Regal for $7, so let's put it there. We'll also add in the e-reader cards (the complete set of all the NES classics plus a few extras from magazines and the like), $.99 a pop x13 sets (yay for failed media!) and the cost of the lock and other various crap that lives in there ($2.99! No real reason!) and we've got ourselves a grand total of $22.86


Story: This little guy sits on my actual filing cabinet (which doubles as an end-table) right beside the head of my bed and next to my ancient alarm clock (a future entry for later). Having a fake filing cabinet on top of a real one fulfills some sort of divine aesthetic in my mind. Yeah, I'm probably a little crazy.

I got this filing cabinet for Christmas one year, probably as a stocking stuffer the year I asked for a real filing cabinet and actually got it. My parents like playing jokes like that. In my extended family once you're 18 you join a pool and buy one gift for one family member. One year I asked my uncle for something off a list of games. When I opened his gift I found a ratty red sweater. After my folks got a good chuckle out of it, they revealed his actual gift. I guess my parents can be jerks some times.

There's something nice about having this cabinet. It holds all the cards that would otherwise get tossed into random drawers and mason jars and plastic tubs. It is the perfect balance of order along with the ability to just toss something in there and forget about it. You know, this post will one day be used to disassemble my fractured psyche and determine the exact point I went off the deep end. On that not, I think I'll leave you all. Have a good one.

1 comment:

shmerica said...

I bought that for you. Dumby.

But it was because you asked for a filing cabinet and that is a werid thing to ask for.