Friday, April 6, 2007

Item Number 27: Bomber Jacket, Leather

Time in possession: Since October '05, so about a year and a half.

Description: Worn black leather jacket, bomber style has red stripe with white border along the chest, back and arms. Inner lining is coming apart and there are several scratches all over it. Still, it keeps out the wind and is super ass comfortable. And it has a pocket just for my cell phone!

Cost: With tax, something in the neighborhood of $310. Decent chump of change.

Story: For years I wanted to own a leather jacket. Maybe it was because I loved my dads old jacket and was horrified when he threw it out. Maybe it was because I found them very comfortable (and still do!). Or maybe I just think they look cool. Whatever. It was on my list of "expensive things I want to buy".

Then, I got my first professional acting gig and it seemed like as good a time as any to finally get what I was looking for. At that point I had been checking out the few leather jacket stores in the city (Danier Leather and whatever the leather goods place in Portage Place is called) regularly, looking for a style that I liked. When I decided that I wanted some red in my jacket, almost instantly it became impossible to find. But now, after almost a year of searching, there was a style I liked and I was quick to snap it up before I lost my chance.

I love this jacket. It's been worn out a bit in the time that I've owned it, but it keeps out the wind and is just warm enough on its own for the fall, and more than warm enough with a fleece in the winter. Sadly, it's actually pretty popular and not that unique: I've seen at least a dozen people with the same jacket- Someone with one very similar actually came up to me and talked about it in New York- Apparently his was $70! But nonetheless, I like it and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. In the long run, I've spent more money on worse, so all is well.

At the moment, this poor sucker needs to get its inner lining fixed, something that will run close to the tune of $70. Sadly, I brought it in when the tearing started just outside of its warranty. It stinks, but I've grown attached to the coat, and even to it's now worn appearance. More authentically bad-ass, you know? I'm the only who has to know that its road rash scars are from wiping out on my bike, right?

Well, and now the rest of the Internet, but whatever.

No comments: